PBZIP2 is a parallel
implementation by Jeff Gilchrist of the bzip2
block-sorting file compressor that uses pthreads
and achieves near-linear speedup on SMP machines. The output of this
version is fully compatible with bzip2 v1.0.2 or newer (ie:
compressed with pbzip2 can be decompressed with bzip2)
PBZIP2 for OpenVMS
should work under OpenVMS since 7.3 on multiprocessor system Alpha or Itanium.
Porting to VAX is possible if such offers will be for me.
Software has been tested on dual-processor Itanium rx1620 and presented sufficient speed incrementation.
This software is distributed
under a BSD-style license. For details, see the file COPYING.
Use at your own risk. I take no responsibility for anything that
happens to your data or equipment. Always test
(bzip2 -tv) a compressed file containing important data before deleting
the original to verify the compression
If you find this software useful
or you are using it in a government/business/commercial environment,
please consider making a donation to help support future improvements:
Current release is: 1.1.13
* Add wildcard support for VMS filespec like *.* (thanks to Alexey Chupahin)
Major changelog since release 1.1.12:
* Add support for DESTDIR in Makefile (thanks to Ryan Schmidt) - bug #1404812
* Fix bad CYGWIN define (thanks to Marco Atzeri) - bug #1429181
* RM unused vars; add hasInFile flag (thanks to Mingxing Zhang) - bug #1337949
* Output sometimes truncated on redirected -cd - bug #1524909
* Many bugs fixed
Major changelog since release 1.0.4:
* Now properly complains about trying to read or write compressed data to terminal, and exits
Major changelog since release 1.0.2:
* Various bugs when compressing binary files are fixed. Now it compress and decompress binaries with any RMS attributes correctly;
* Added support for STDIN/STDOUT compression/decompression;
* All remainig options of bzip2 are supported, now bzip2 can be replaced with pbzip2 safely;
to download the latest version:
PBZIP2 v1.1.13 VMS
BZIP2 1.0.8 should be installed before building.
This is latest bzip2 release, group file spec like *.* is supported
BZIP2 v1.0.8 VMS
Prepearing executables is very simple:
OpenVMS 8.3 and newer Itanium, Alpha
- Add support for splitter archives closer to RAR